Monday, October 15, 2012

Dew Beard and Gilet

Let's put aside Felix Baumgartner, his fabulously insane skydive, and his too-cool-for-words achievement in landing upright – let's concentrate on the fact that I broke my own personal recent distance record this morning and cycled forty-two miles at an average speed of 15 mph. I actually impressed myself. However, it is an interesting experience to go to scratch an itch on your cheek and discover your beard is covered in dew from where your breath has condensed. Such a situation can engender a psychological desire for warmth inside that it almost makes you want to throw in the metaphorical towel and go home straight away for a real one. But since I was test-riding my new gilet, and was extremely impressed at how it was keeping off the chill on my chest, I persevered. I'm glad I did – I eventually caught up with a much younger guy on his much lighter bike. This was a great massage to the ego, but what put it in the realm of not-everyone-is-a-*expletive deleted* was that we shared the lead for a short while as though we were some breakaway couple distancing the peloton.
A lovely day to give the imagination a workout.
And to Felix Baumgartner: I salute you, sir.
 
Don't do stupid – it's just not clever.
Total recorded cycled miles since 21st July 2012: 1456.

No comments: