Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Brave New World of DRM

It's like watching a riot unfold – you don't know if you should be making considered judgements or just rely on instinct.  The e-book revolution is gathering pace and it seems the rules are being made up as we go along and I don't know if I'm blundering around or adopting best practice. Take Digital Rights Management. (Or Digital Restriction Management. See? There's conflict, already.) I've enabled this for my Kindle e-books, with the reasoning that they are at such a low price this won't restrict sales, but I have no firm evidence on which to base this approach. There is an argument that it makes people feel as though they are automatically viewed as potential criminals and this is something which concerns me as I can see their point of view. The problem I have (and I suspect it's an age thing), is that I don't like the attitude that everyone deserves to acquire something for nothing. I know that ripping-off music apparently leads to increased purchases by the hardened music fan, but why should that approach be transferable to e-books? I just don't know.  Watch this space.
Try not to do the stupid things that stupid people do.  

No comments: